Day 10 ... So Disappointing.

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
I really don’t know what to do. I’m on day 10 of taking 30mg. I’ve felt since day 3 that it wasn’t “working” in the traditional sense. Very minimal appetite suppression, and dry mouth. Otherwise, sleeping soundly, not energy, no “rush”. I’ve been INCREDIBLY strict with my food intake. Only nutrient dense, veggies, salad and grilled proteins and only very occasionally a few good carbs and good fats. I’ve been going for a brisk walk every day for 45-60 mins, but I know my body well and I could tell there was little change. I haven’t had a scale since day 3 so it was just an inkling, but I did take thorough measurements. Getting a little frustrated by not feeling my body changing, I went and bought a measuring tape - I figured at least if I saw a little change (even if it’s only water weight) at least it would be a driving force… after all, i’ve being working my butt off and consuming seriously reduced portion size etc… And in 9 days... Nothing! Not even half a cm. I don’t understand why this is happening!? I found a scale an hour or so ago in my frustration… and... not a gram. I’m EXACTLY the same. Even without the Duromine, my portion size and exercise alone should have made a difference. It’s so incredibly disappointing. I don’t understand what I could possibly be doing wrong or why it’s not having any effect. I understand people say to be patient… but NOTHING? I’ve read back in some forums that it took people 4-6 days to start feeling the effects, but 10 days? And NO result? I just don’t know what to think… I don’t even know what to do. It’s so incredibly disappointing.

ChantelK

Standard Member
Oct 9, 2014
I am feeling the same here Rosie C :( My aunt is on Duromine and in two weeks time lost almost 8Kg.

Kate

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 21, 2009
I really don’t know what to do. I’m on day 10 of taking 30mg. I’ve felt since day 3 that it wasn’t “working” in the traditional sense. Very minimal appetite suppression, and dry mouth. Otherwise, sleeping soundly, not energy, no “rush”. I’ve been INCREDIBLY strict with my food intake. Only nutrient dense, veggies, salad and grilled proteins and only very occasionally a few good carbs and good fats. I’ve been going for a brisk walk every day for 45-60 mins, but I know my body well and I could tell there was little change. I haven’t had a scale since day 3 so it was just an inkling, but I did take thorough measurements. Getting a little frustrated by not feeling my body changing, I went and bought a measuring tape - I figured at least if I saw a little change (even if it’s only water weight) at least it would be a driving force… after all, i’ve being working my butt off and consuming seriously reduced portion size etc… And in 9 days... Nothing! Not even half a cm. I don’t understand why this is happening!? I found a scale an hour or so ago in my frustration… and... not a gram. I’m EXACTLY the same. Even without the Duromine, my portion size and exercise alone should have made a difference. It’s so incredibly disappointing. I don’t understand what I could possibly be doing wrong or why it’s not having any effect. I understand people say to be patient… but NOTHING? I’ve read back in some forums that it took people 4-6 days to start feeling the effects, but 10 days? And NO result? I just don’t know what to think… I don’t even know what to do. It’s so incredibly disappointing.
Hi, Rosie
Sad....
What about (I'm sorry) you periods? Maybe this retains you much water in the body so the kgs do not move? Strict diet you've said... Or maybe you were too strict with your diet so your body is in shock of not having that amount of food it used to? Although I am sure you know about that effect... Please describe your daily regime, it will make clear what is wrong. I hope. But anyways, I recommend you to continue, maybe visit a doc and ask him for 40mg :confused:
Please don't give up now, because you're doing so right by keeping your diet and walking. It MUST give you at least something. It is good for your body.

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for your time/response, Kate. When I say 'strict'... I mean nothing passes my lips without being accounted for to make sure I make up my daily nutrient requirements.. I'm not "under eating' to a ridiculous extent and i'm eating often enough so my metabolism isn't getting a chance to rest for too long. I figure I made the decision to do this properly so I may as well!

As far as the periods go...

I was actually "due" when I started. I was bloated and therefore was preparing myself for 1-2kg of loss in my first week to be purely hormonal. I'm a few days finished now. As far as my routine... I'm averaging a 45 min brisk walk at about 6am every morning - I have all but 1 morning. Over the course of the day I do lots of other "littler" things which definitely add up I outline on Chantel's post here -.Exercising

(Ensuring I'm "training my muscles" to help kickstart my metabolism (the idea being that by the time i'm off Duromine, it's ready to take over)

Food intake wise, Mornings are usually a coffee, a soft boiled egg with some tomato, spinach and a bit of avocado with some sprinkled balsamic. Lunch is grilled chicken (palm size) and as many stir fried veggies as I can eat (broccoli/kale/capsicum etc) and dinner is more veggies/salad and grilled pesto chicken or small piece of kangaroo. Snacks are from a tub I prepare every few days of carrots/cucumber/capsicum and some hummus/cottage cheese and a few almonds.

No sneaky calories from added oils, dressings, juices or packaged foods without being accounted for. I'm drinking about 2.5lt of water every day, nothing else. I'm eating clean, nutrient dense food with some healthy fats - averaging 800-900 calories after walking and eating minimal carbs.

I can't for the LIFE of me figure out why this isn't having an effect. The food intake alone should be making a difference ( I was a big rice/carb persons before) ... add to theta the kickstart of the constant moving/exercise... and I'm stumped! Any ideas, Kate? Have you read stories on here before of strangely slow starts?

(excuse the length!:eek:)

Last edited by a moderator:

christine V

Standard Member
Aug 30, 2014
800-900 calories is no where near enough. Go to online calculator and work out your bmr and tdee. Set your activity to sedentary for now. I'll be curious to see what it calculates for you.

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
800-900 calories is no where near enough. Go to online calculator and work out your bmr and tdee. Set your activity to sedentary for now. I'll be curious to see what it calculates for you.
Hi Christine, Thanks for that. :) I did actually calculate all that with my Dr - I'm on about 1200+cal per day but as I said above, about 800-900 once roughly factoring in the 'dedicated exercise output'. The aim of course is to be in deficit to lose weight, so i'm eating my base requirements calorie/nutrition wise, but exercising on top of that so i should be on point?
... I think. :confused:

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Christine, Thanks for that. :) I did actually calculate all that with my Dr - I'm on about 1200+cal per day but as I said above, about 800-900 once roughly factoring in the 'dedicated exercise output'. The aim of course is to be in deficit to lose weight, so i'm eating my base requirements calorie/nutrition wise, but exercising on top of that so i should be on point?
... I think. :confused:

christine V

Standard Member
Aug 30, 2014
If your docs on board then I guess you should trust him. But something definitely needs tweaking, just have to figure out what?? Easier said then done :-(
I started doing 5:2 diet, but recently changed to alternate day fasting which is around 1800 calories on one day and up to 500 calories the next day and then back to 1800 etc. I've lost 5kgs in 3 weeks without too much suffering lol . And no longer on duramine

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
If your docs on board then I guess you should trust him. But something definitely needs tweaking, just have to figure out what?? Easier said then done :-(
I started doing 5:2 diet, but recently changed to alternate day fasting which is around 1800 calories on one day and up to 500 calories the next day and then back to 1800 etc. I've lost 5kgs in 3 weeks without too much suffering lol . And no longer on duramine
I agree with needing tweaking! (Yikes! That sounds terrible! - Ha!)
It's fantastic you've found something that works for you, i read you were struggling with the side effects so it's fantastic you've found a way to lose without medical assistance. Do you find the on/off nature difficult? Eating normally one day - serious deficit the next? Or does your body acclimatise after a few back and forths?

Congrats either way. Can't wait to hear about the results!

christine V

Standard Member
Aug 30, 2014
It's got to the point that I look forward to fast days. If you choose wisely to can pack a fair amount into 500 calories. Yesterday I had lots of chocolate cake and chinese food, but today I'm fasting so it will end up evening out :)
Rosie I hope you find a solution and your weight starts dropping soon. Hopefully the 40mg will work for you. xoxoxo

PJ1975

Standard Member
Oct 12, 2014
Hi Rosie, I'm going through exactly the same thing. For the first few days it was great but then things settled down. I still have an appetite although I do experience feeling full more quickly. I'm making smarter food choices and drinking heaps of water but haven't really seen a difference on the scales. No sleepless nights. No obvious increase in energy. My dr started me on 30mg with an appointment towards the end of the month so see how I was going. I didn't even wait the full month to go back. After three weeks I've only lost 1.5kgs. I'm so disappointed and I almost felt like my dr thought I was cheating. Anyway we've upped it to 40mg. Day 2 and so far still not noticing a difference. Hopefully things will improve in the next few weeks. The other thing I seem to have in common with you is the timing of our cycles. I wonder if that has an impact of its effectiveness. I'd be curious to hear how other women have fared with weight loss during their time of the month.
Chin up. At least there's two of us. :)

Beth75

Standard Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hi Rosie,

You say you dug up some scales, does that mean you used a different set for your starting weight?

If so, that can be misleading. Try using the same set of scales, and make sure you weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

I wouldn't be too worried about the cms not changing yet, but you should certainly see some change on the scales soon (if only water weight!!)

Try not to worry too much just yet, if you stick with the low cal diet and exercise there is no way that the weight won't start shifting eventually. Let us know how you go;)

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Rosie,

You say you dug up some scales, does that mean you used a different set for your starting weight?

If so, that can be misleading. Try using the same set of scales, and make sure you weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

I wouldn't be too worried about the cms not changing yet, but you should certainly see some change on the scales soon (if only water weight!!)

Try not to worry too much just yet, if you stick with the low cal diet and exercise there is no way that the weight won't start shifting eventually. Let us know how you go;)

Just did my first weigh in 13 days in to taking Duromine, from home. MY scales. And it turns out there has been a loss. But a pathetic one.

1 kg.

That’s it. In 13 days.

And keep in mind the last time I weighted myself on day 2 - I was 2 days from getting my period. So, you know, just puffier.

I truly cannot understand why it’s like this.

I’m making an appointment to see my doctor again.

The diet change in itself should have been 1-2 kgs… then some hormonal/water weight?!? I am flummoxed and - well, completely disappointed to be honest. Even without duromine this is impossibly slow weightloss... and i've been working SO hard. Literally no slip ups.

Last edited:

ChelseaPearshape

Standard Member
Jun 11, 2014
East Rand, South Africa
Hi, I'd like to make a suggestion. I am following the basic principles of banting/Tim Noakes diet (Low Carb High Fat). And banters make something called a "fat bomb" - this is supposed to boost your weight loss (especially people who lose reasonably, and reach a point where it slows down/stops). I don't have a recipe for one, but I'm sure you'd be able to find one on the internet. It's worth a try?! And I must say, since I have upped my (healthy) fat intake, my weightloss has improved. (Olives, Avocado, full cream dairy, butter, olive oil, etc).

Reactions: christine V

Rosie C

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi, I'd like to make a suggestion. I am following the basic principles of banting/Tim Noakes diet (Low Carb High Fat). And banters make something called a "fat bomb" - this is supposed to boost your weight loss (especially people who lose reasonably, and reach a point where it slows down/stops). I don't have a recipe for one, but I'm sure you'd be able to find one on the internet. It's worth a try?! And I must say, since I have upped my (healthy) fat intake, my weightloss has improved. (Olives, Avocado, full cream dairy, butter, olive oil, etc).

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time. I'm actually a big fan of Tim Noakes and am pretty much on that 'diet' already. Minimal carbs, lots of veggies, minimal fruit, lean protein, lots of game meat and lots of good fats and grass fed goodness. It's fantastic!! Day 18 today - not weighing in for another few days but finger crossed for a couple more kgs, eh!

Btw...Congrats on your weightless too!!

Reactions: ChelseaPearshape