6 weeks in and 5% weight loss

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Plucky, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Plucky

Plucky Well-Known Member
    Standard Member

I've been on duromine for about 6 weeks. I usually miss 1 tablet a week so only just moved onto my second pack. Today I weighed in and with a 4.9kg loss I've lost 5% of my body weight in 6 weeks. Each week I've seen roughly a 1kg loss and one week nothing. Compared to some of the phenomenal losses I've seen people post my 5kg doesnt seem like much over that time frame but then when I look at it as 5% of my body weight it does sound like I've made good progress.

I havent completely done a 180 on how I eat and I currently dont weigh my food. I've been moderate in my diet and a lot of my loss comes down to not drinking coke. Its a viscous cycle for me, I am tired so I have a can of coke to perk up, the extra weight makes me more tired so then I reach for another coke. On duro I cant drink much caffeine (I dont drink tea or coffee either) as it effects my sleep but also I have more energy so I am just not reaching for it like I was.

On the 3rd of March I start a 6 week fitness challenge, I am already pretty active as I do about 3 hours of deliberate exercise a week so the challenge for me will be the food side. The challenge comes with an individual meal plan and a cookbook of recipes so that will be interesting as my husband has agreed to suck it up in terms of eating what I am having or feeding himself (and the kids). I did a provided food plan a couple of years ago and while I mostly enjoyed the food I ended up having to cook separate dinners for the rest of my family. As the non-cook before this, it was exhausting going from not cooking at all to cooking 2 meals a night. The challenge claims to deliver a 11kg weight loss over 6 weeks. Besides the incredible claim of a massive loss, it also comes with weekly accountability in the form of weigh ins and trainers following up on your progress. I am embracing the extreme and I am sure it will be extreme but it will be under the guidance of a registered nutritionist and personal trainers.

Anyway the original purpose of my post was to celebrate what I have achieved without being extreme. 5% of my body weight is not nothing and I am happy with it.

#1 Feb 20, 2019
    Gab75, Rava and Retta like this.
  2. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Hiya @Plucky!

So good to hear how you are going! Hope you and your family have been going great :)

What food plan are you on if you dont mind me asking? Cant wait to hear more!

#2 Mar 13, 2019
  3. Plucky

Plucky Well-Known Member
    Standard Member

Hi Rava,

Well the food plan was/is extreme. I am finding it a little hard to follow strictly as it is very heavy on protein and many of the allowed veggies are ones that I shouldn't really eat a lot of. Also there's no carbs at dinner but there is a fair bit of oil/fat for dinner which again is not really my style of eating. When I calculated an example menu up it was only 1000cal in addition to that food there are protein shakes which we were told were only if you needed something sweet but I am not really into them so I have left them out. If you cant tell I was rather disappointed as what was 'sold' to me in the initial consult and what I got are not the same thing. I am not really sure about some of the stuff they say either- but the education side of things isnt completed as yet so I need to try keep an open mind. I lost a kg in the first week, not too bad considering I had drinks one night for my birthday. Its also likely that I am carrying water weight as the classes used muscles in a different way than I am used and my period is due today so heres hoping I see a bit drop soon to make it all worthwhile.

I am enjoying classes they run though, its slanted to the functional fitness/body weight exercises and the format is good. The commitment is 3 x 1/2 hr classes a week and I am still doing my normal running/riding on top of that.

#3 Mar 13, 2019
  4. Rava

Rava Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

@Plucky sounds as though it could be quite similar to a Keto approach with the fats and little carbs?

Its bloody annoying when you purchase something only to find out that its not quite all that :(. Hope you are travelling better with the diet side of things this week.

You have always motivated me with your exercise, strength and fitness so cant wait to hear more about how you get on! You were one of the people to inspire me to start running!

#4 Mar 18, 2019
  5. Plucky

Plucky Well-Known Member
    Standard Member

Hi @Rava
    I am definitely travelling better with the food side of things this week. I havent 100% stuck to the plan though it is getting a bit easier to. The theory behind the food plan is that we need to eliminate the sugars so our body learns to burn fat for energy rather than sugar. I am still not 100% convinced though I want the results so am trying to stick to it as much as I can. I am still struggling to eat the volume of meat for the protein element of the diet as I dont like cottage cheese or greek yogurt and you can only eat so many eggs in one day. The veggies they put forward are ones that I try to limit due to my thyroid so long term this definitely isnt the way I would eat going forward. So I am still having too many carbs and not enough protein according to their plan.

On the plus side I am still enjoying the classes and I've gone back to feeling normal during running.

Today I hit 8kg down since starting on Jan 7th, I am still working my way through my second packet of duro. I usually miss Sundays so I can sleep in, then Monday I couldn't find the packet and Tuesday I didnt find it till 9am and decided not to take it as normally I take it before 7am. Sunday and Monday I was fine but yesterday I definitely felt the effects of duros appetite suppressant had worn off. I had planned to switch to every second day next script as I dont think my dr will prescribe more until a break of 3 months but I might start every 2 days now and go for every 3 days next script. I have a trip to America planned in July and it would be a dream to get down to 75kg by then.

#5 Mar 20, 2019
  6. Plucky

Plucky Well-Known Member
    Standard Member

So I am now 11.5 weeks into this and have hit the 10% lost mark. I am still going on my second pack of tablets. I've been skipping days semi regularly and have found that I can miss one day with no issue but 2 I find that I am starving on the second day I miss. I am seeing the Dr on Sat to get what I assume will be my last script for a while (and check how my thyroid has been going during all of this).

My gym challenge has been going alright, I am still not convinced on the food side of things. They have now introduced videos about intermittent fasting but havent talked about how that affects the food plan we are one which has 3 meals. I am being pretty good sticking to the plan, I have thrown in the odd treat or carbs at dinner but since I exercise on top of the gym I dont think its a big deal. I am trying to convince myself to stick to the plan religiously for the next 2 weeks till it finishes/I go on holiday to maximise the weight loss, but at the same time my logical brain says just stick to the overall calories and eat what suits me. According to their scales I've lost 3kg in 3 weeks and 5% body fat.

I had to buy new home scales as mine were on the fritz, I've only recently replaced the battery but the other day I'd weighed myself on waking and then weighed myself after a bike ride (I'd had maybe 3 mouthfuls of water to take my medication but nothing other than that) and I weigh 1.5kg more than I did when I first woke up. Picked up the scale, wiped over the feet etc, weighed myself again and was now 300g below the first weight. I had noticed fluctuations of a few hundred grams prior to that and though put it down to moving scales around as we keep flat in the cupboard and I take out to weigh. New scales I love, they are consistent and give lots of info. Now I know that its not going to be the most accurate measure and I know hydration plays a big part in the %'s it gives out although it does give a hydration level too. It does show my BF% about 2% lower than my old scales and is hard to compare to the gym scales as I havent had a chance to go straight from one to the other. Anyway it gives muscle mass, % etc my old scale did do this info too (well muscle mass in kg not as a % as well). The great thing though it has ranges so eg it shows my muscle mass as in the normal range but BF in high range. It also gives a visceral fat score which is what tipped me to get this one over a new fitbit scale. it will be interesting to see if my bone mass changes over time as so far its been the same each time. I like the dashboard with the red and green with all this info. One bad thing is that is has calculated my goal weight based on age as lower than anything else I've come across, I suspect that this is because its saying that my lean muscle mass is lower than normal range but my muscle mass is in the normal range so I havent quite worked it all out. I know that my upper body has low muscle so maybe if I work on that.

So that's my update, I'll keep plugging away and see where I can get too.

#6 Mar 28, 2019