I'm New & Just Starting - Love Any Tips/advice!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brokenandoverit, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Brokenandoverit

Brokenandoverit New Member
    Standard Member

Hey Everyone

Bit of background about me:
    I'm a 27 year old, 178cm and 100kg on the dot as of this morning.
    At my skinniest I was 60kg and I would ideally like to be around 70-75kg.

My weight gain has come from a severe injury - broken leg in multiple places about 6 months ago. So I've been emotionally eating and unable to exercise. The other day the doctor described me as "a bigger girl" and told me my weight gain could be affecting my rehab so prescribed me with duromine.

I was so hurt at being called this I cried in the car driving home. But hey, he's right. Seeing 100kg on the scales today made me feel awful! I'm horrible at self control and dedication - so I'm hoping I can make it stick this time as I really need to lose weight.

My question for you guys is have any of you lost significant weight without being able to exercise?

Also, I've not really had any side effects - although I have dry mouth and since I'm writing this at almost midnight I guess I'm having trouble sleeping too!

#1 Aug 14, 2017
  2. Brokenandoverit

Standard Member

Also I just calculated my BMI and it's 31.6 which is obese - so mortified

#2 Aug 15, 2017
  3. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello Brokenandoverit. Sorry about your injury. Are you on a rehabilitation program right now? You asked about losing weight without exercising… that’s why I am asking if you were prescribed any special physical activity for your leg? Or it’s too early…

We’ll see what other users answer. My own experience tells me that there are people who lose quite a lot of weight before they start exercising on Duromine. That is because this extra weight was literally chocking them + some more energy you get you are on it…

At that, there are many people who didn’t see any significant weight loss until they introduced physical activity. It differs from person to person, so… no idea how it works for you, yet I am sure if you really really want to add some physical activity to your life (not just to lose weight, but to get more fit), we can think of something. Best of luck to yoU!

#3 Aug 15, 2017
  4. Brokenandoverit

Standard Member

Hi April,
    Thanks for replying - my leg is still very broken - having more surgery in a few months. So I'm currently not allowed to do any exercise (not even swimming).
    Hopefully this helps with some weight loss. Plus I will have a strict diet!

#4 Aug 15, 2017
  5. SamBam

SamBam New Member
    Standard Member

I'm also unsure about losing without some form of physical activity but is it possible that you could get some small weight Dumbbells and do low weight but high reps with those? Gets your heart rate up and in the burning zone but strickly no lower half activity. I'm sure any small amount of extra activity will help.

I know how much it sucks to be called out like that about your weight. I was seeing an accountant recently and he looked at my license and then back at me and was like "I see you've stopped with dieting then?" I was soooo livid! At least your doctor wants to help, that's the main thing I guess :) at least we are doing something about trying to improve our health- so go us!!

Good luck with it all!

#5 Aug 15, 2017
    Brokenandoverit likes this.
  6. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello there! How is it going? So… are you having trouble sleeping? Or (fingers crossed) slept well? I hope you will agree with SamBam and me… I was thinking about you and your exercises… I just started looking for something on youtube that could help you. well, what can I say… if you want to lose weight, you will definitely find workouts that will help you. There are tones of these for disabled, paralyzed, amputees and with various health conditions that prevent people from exercising or involving their lower body part. Just look through these… SamBam is so correct – your heart rate will go up, which aids a metabolism boost. Besides, you will be building some muscles, which always help burning more calories. It might also help you cope with your sleeping problem (that is, of course, if Duromine did give it to you). Hope you are feeling good and if you need any help with finding a good workout video, just ask and I will search for a couple of good options. Bets of luck!

#6 Aug 15, 2017
  7. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Goodness, SamBam… that accountant… so mean…. You definitely owe him a good one when you lose weight and come seeing him again…

#7 Aug 15, 2017
  8. Brokenandoverit

Standard Member

Hey April & Sambam!
    I actually did look on YouTube this morning and did an ab workout (only 7 minutes oops) and stretched for 20 minutes too.
    I'll have a look for some specifically targeted to people with disabilities!

I am having awful trouble sleeping - only had about 8 hours total in the past 3 nights! Hopefully this will subside soon - I don't feel tired though which is good. I actually feel energised and super focused.
    Too focused evwn, I was so caught up in my work today I forgot to eat all day! So I have to be careful not to do that again!

#8 Aug 15, 2017
  9. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Oh hey! You deserve a big hug! Soooo well done! 7 minutes for your abs and 20 minutes of stretching in your condition is a huge achievement! High five! Don’t stop moving!

Sorry about your sleep… usually subsides by day 4-6, so hopefully you will sleep better this night. If you don’t, you might consider going to a pharmacy and taking sleeping pills. Your body needs to rest. Just don’t forget to tell the pharmacist that you are taking Duromine.

As for your focusing and non-eating, set up several alarms during the day, to remind you that you need to go and eat right now. If you do not eat your weight will be going down, in about week one… and then it will stop. So please carefully monitor your nutrition. All in all, you are doing great! I see your motivation, so let’s rock it! =)

#9 Aug 15, 2017
  10. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello Brokenandoverit. How are you feeling? Did your sleep improve or you had to stop Duromine then? Wish you a great day!

#10 Sep 7, 2017
  11. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hope you’re well and will find some time for an update. All the best to you!

#11 Sep 15, 2017