Duromine Journey Started - 15mg

Discussion in 'My Experience with Duromine' started by Beth, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

So I started on duromine 15mg not quite 3 weeks ago. The doctor wasn't too keen to prescribe but after a very long conversation he agreed and gave me a one month supply.

Starting weight: 93.5kg
    Goal Weight: 75kg
    Height: 165cm
    Fitness: fairly fit - try to do two boot camp classes a week, plus a run (up to 5km).

The first week was good - I saw around a 3kg drop. The first few days I was not hungry much at all but still ate regularly.

The second one I was slightly unwell with a cold and for some reason my appetite increased. I also didnt do any training. I had a few days of eating badly and at the end of the week I hadn't lost any.

This week I managed to get back into training although I had a weekend of drinks and not great food choices (friends birthday). Hopefully by being back to training again today I will be able to start the loss again. Appetite is still there - the initial week where I didn't have any seems to have worn off. Perhaps the medication isn't strong enough?

Am going to have to go back to the Doctor shortly to ask for another supply. Hopefully he will see that I have lost some and it will be important to keep going. I might see if I can get a higher dose as my appetite is coming back and I regularly have empty 'pit' or growling in my stomach. I'm hoping to drop to around 85kg in the next few weeks so want to keep my progress going!

#1 Jul 24, 2017
  2. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello Beth. Very nice to meet you! And thank you very much for sharing your story! I hope you will manage to stay in line with the plan this week and your doctor prescribes you a higher dose, since it’s obvious you’re already used to the 15 mg. In fact, it’s a good thing that you started with 15 mg. This allows your body to slowly get used to Duromine and might help you avoid serious side effects of the higher dose. The weight loss for 15 mg and all “violations” is quite a good one, so congrats on that! Keep going strong and I am sure you will get to your goal! Have a great day!

PS. Well done on exercising!

#2 Jul 24, 2017
  3. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

Thanks. I forgot to mention ive been looking into eating habits a bit more after reading other people's threads. However it gets quite confusing with difference in countries (KJ Vs calories). Ive been trying to following a daily 8000kj limit and if I can stick to it minimum 6 days a week. From what ive read this should be ok - especially as some days I have exercise and need to have enough energy to burn during it. Will be doing my first longer run since I was sick this afternoon so hopefully it wont be too hard!

#3 Jul 25, 2017
  4. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hi Beth! It’s good that you did take some time to go through the threads and see what people eat and how each other’s story differs, and how each person finds his own recipe for a successful weight loss. You know, I am not really into the Kj, still if you type Kj to calories in Google, you will find a calculator, which will help you jump here and there. So I did make this jump and figured out that you are consuming a little over 1900 calories.

If you want to know how many calories you need to consume daily to lose weight steadily and at a good pace, you might want to use an online calculator (better use 3-5 and take the average number). I would say you need somewhere around 1300-1700 (1800) calories per day, depending on your physical activity. That is, of course, if you want to have a slightly faster weight loss, and is just a suggestion. Either way, it is up to you to decide AND it is up to you to build these calories on healthy meals. In fact, you can easily follow your plan and see where it takes you. You know your body better than anyone else. Have a great day, Beth and best of luck for the run!! Fingers crossed =))

#4 Jul 25, 2017
  5. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

4 week update:

Starting weight: 93.5
    Current weight: 87.3
    Loss: 6.2kg

So I switched to 30mg last week after going back to GP. I still feel like I get an empty 'pit' in my stomach and definitely still have my appetite so I'm not sure whether it just doesn't affect me as much as other ppl. I think it's probably helped reduce cravings for big carby meals though. I've had zero side effects as well.

I've been working hard monitoring my food intake during the week. I have not been recording during the weekend - I still eat some unhealthy type food but I'm just trying to eat small amounts (for example I went to surf club last week and got burger and chips, but only ate half of it as it was a big meal) and limit it to once.

I have still been aiming for 8000kj limit or around 1900 calories a day. I've double checked several sites and this seems to be recommended for me based on age, size and activity.

Aiming for 4 trainings a week - 2 group boot camps and 2 runs. City2surf next weekend so that will be a good workout! The weight loss also makes runnng a lot easier and less strain on my joints!

#5 Aug 3, 2017
  6. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Wooow! 14 km next weekend. That’s some serious stuff! Best of luck to you!

As for the weight loss, you’re going just great! Congratulations! Seems you have found your regime and routine that works fantastic, so keep it up! Applause on eating just a half of that meal. Already shows you are serious and motivated to move forward without taking a step back. High five!

A great weekend to you and fingers crossed for great news at new weigh in!

#6 Aug 4, 2017
  7. cassieriordan

cassieriordan Member
    Standard Member

8000 kilojoules is a lot to eat. i aim for 5000 or around 1200 calories

#7 Aug 22, 2017
  8. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hi Beth! How is it going? How did the run go? How is your weight loss progress going? Hope all is well. A great day to you!

#8 Aug 22, 2017
  9. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

Ive spoken with a dietitian and they have said this is fine for me - i am not aiming for major short term loss. I am going for sustainable long term - if i continue to maintain a normal diet of 8000 or less kJ a day and my levels of exercise (which at the moment is minimum 4 times a week of intensive workouts) then i have been advised that i will continue to loose excess weight and should be able to maintain.

The amount and physicality of my workouts means that i will consume more than others do. I think its important each person consults a dietitian to check what is best for them! :)

#9 Aug 25, 2017
    April likes this.
  10. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

Hi!

It is going well. I am down to 85kg which i am happy (total loss to date is 8.5kg)- i had to fly to visit family unexpectedly and it resulted in not being able to eat as well as i was doing at home. In addition it was also a super stressful time which normally would mean i would stress eat but managed to avoid it for the most part!

The best part is my exercise is going well. I finished the 14km but with a slight injury - am now adding one yoga session a week to my other training to ensure it heals up. I also am doing a 6 week intensive group training program due to start in September - extra incentive is if i lose 10% of body weight they will refund me the money i spent! Challenge accepted! I also have signed up for another 10km run in September as well as possibly trying out some trail running so should have an active month. My surf club starts up again soon so that will be added in as well!

Heading to the GP today to get the final month of duromine. Im sure if i wanted to get more additional months i could, but i feel its time to start preparing for normal life without duromine. Im aiming for what i am doing to be long lasting and sustainable, especially once i come off duromine. That being said i still have no side effects and i think the duromine is not as effective on me as it is with others! Hopefully this will mean i wont have too much trouble when i come off it completely in about a month and a bit!

#10 Aug 25, 2017
  11. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

You amaze me! So much commitment to your goals and so much sports in your life! Fantastic! Congratulations with a great weight loss!!! I am sure you gained quite a lot of muscles, so you definitely look so much thinner and toned. Sorry about your injury. Are you sure you won’t make it worse with this run in September?

I like what you say about your decision to continue further without Duromine and, of course, I would advise you to discontinue it by gradually reducing the frequency of administration closer to the time you will be running out of it. this is the perfect way to do it and avoid any possible withdrawal symptoms. Keep it up, Beth! So sporty! Definitely huge benefits to your health and a good foundation for long-term changes and weight loss. A lovely day to you!

#11 Aug 25, 2017
  12. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Good day to you, Beth, the sports maniac! =) How are you doing? Did you get the last script for Duromine? How is your injury? All healed? A great weekend to you!

#12 Sep 8, 2017
  13. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

Sorry i keep forgetting to update this!

Yes i got the final month of duromine 30mg. I am about half way through it currently. The last two weeks i have not been actively eating healthy - i knew i had my 6 week challenge coming up so i occasionally gave in to some cravings before it started. That being said i didnt go crazy and i have maintained at 85kg (so no weight gain).

So my 6 week challenge starts this week and so i am going to be going crazy with exercising - my schedule is to do 6 boot camp classes a week for the challenge, as well as 1 or 2 yoga sessions to help with my injury and my usual short run on friday evening with a friend. This Sunday i also have the 10km run scheduled! In addition to that i have patrols starting on some weekends so going to be super busy. The 6 week challenge has its own calculator for the nutrition side of things and for me its recommending 1900 calories a day (including exercise calories). I think i will aim for around 1700 as this is what i was doing before. The ideal goal for the end of the six weeks will be a 8kg loss, but id be happy with 5kgs! I intend to cut out alcohol as much as possible during it - have a limit of only 1 or 2 drinks max for any special events during it (and i will choose the healthiest options like vodka and soda instead of cider or wine!).

Injury wise im ok - seeing sports physician on Wednesday who will be putting some cortisone in my knee so i can continue to exercise whilst slowly working to rectify the issue through yoga, acupuncture etc. It will require ongoing management but the doctors are happy to work with me to help me continue to be super active.

I am still planning for coming off duromine - i have about half a month of 15mg left from when i switched over to 30mg, so i am going to use this once i finish my 30mg supply. I may also start to skip a day every now and then to get my body used to not always having it.

I have some pictures that have shown how my body has changed so far! Im about to take more though as the last set were taken a month ago (and i need to document the start/finish of my challenge!). They arent the most attractive photos but i like to look at them to show me how far i have come. Apologies about the bra only - easier to see what is happening without a tshirt on!

#13 Sep 11, 2017
  14. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#14 Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2019
    Capri312 and Valerie Nethononda like this.
  15. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello hello! Happy to hear from you and really happy to know that the doctors are so supportive and help you get better sooner. Fast healing to you! And, of course, a great sports craze that you have scheduled. I am sure your body will be super toned after so much activity. As for the calories.. yes, this is the amount that PT’s usually recommend to people with a very high sports load. You can try limiting to 1700. However, it might surprise you one day that you are losing more weight when you consume 1900, rather than 1700. Our bodies are too complex to figure their needs correctly. Trials and errors… However, your photos show that you did a great job and are moving towards your goal in a great pace. Congratulations and keep it up! Take good care of yourself and be careful – don’t let yourself get any other injury. Fingers crossed for a great outcome of your sports craze and even more impressive body modeling results!!!

#15 Sep 11, 2017
  16. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hi Beth! How did this week go?

#16 Sep 15, 2017
  17. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

Starting Weight: 93.5kg
    Current Weight: 82kg
    Loss to date: 11.5kg

Hi April!

So first week of my six week challenge is done - HOORAY! I did 3x boot camps and 2x yoga on Mon-Wed and then had two days rest Thursday and Friday as i had the cortisone shot. Saturday i did a boot camp session again and Sunday i did my 10km run. Super happy with the run - first time i was able to go the entire distance without stopping and did a really good time (for me)! Still having trouble with my knee but its manageable.

Nutrition wise, i was really good during the week. I am following the challenge nutrition plan (roughly) so there was alot of protein (eggs, fish, meat etc). On the weekend i actually started to feel like i was lacking in energy so i made sure to have wholesome meals (kangaroo is a new favourite!) and also had a creamy pasta meal the night before my 10km race. Probably not recommended in the program but i needed some fuel! Im watching what i eat to make sure im getting enough - kind of doing a balancing act of seeing how my body is going and what it feels it needs. Some days i might bump up my intake to 1900. I am continuing to take vitamins as well so i think my overall health should remain good. Didnt drink at all this week. Did indulge in a freddo frog and diet coke on Sunday evening, but felt i was entitled to a reward for the big run.

Weight wise i have lost around 2.5-3kg this week! My scales are telling me i am 82kg now. Super happy as if i lose 10% of my body weight during the challenge i get my money back! and there are prizes i want to win lol (i am very incentive based). So my goal now is to lose 6.5 kgs in the remaining five weeks. I am aware that even if i do this, that it is likely a little will come back on after the challenge but i am prepared for that. Also my duromine will run out around the same time so it will be interesting to see if hungry feeling comes back.

This weeks plan is to continue to do training (Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat) with a rest day on Friday and Sunday. I have two social functions on the weekend so will have to watch to make sure i dont drink much or eat any takeaway food (will try to limit to 1-2). Will attempt to update at end of the week again (if i remember!)

#17 Sep 18, 2017
  18. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Ohhohohohooooo!! That is fantastic! What a dynamic week you had! You don’t let your body get used to any kind of physical activity or the nutrition, and the results are amazing! By the way, you did just right to have that creamy pasta meal before the run. It’s exactly what you should do before and after long runs – pack up on carbs. =) So, it’s good. Your body definitely feels well, and does its best not to oppress your weight loss efforts.

If you are planning on having a couple of drinks, I would suggest you to skip Duromine on days, when you have alcohol.

PS. I truly hope that you will not have to suffer from any post-Duromine hunger increase. Besides, like I said at the beginning, you don’t let your body get used to the nutrition, both in terms of calories and the contents. The same goes with the exercising, so I am sure you will continue losing weight once you’re done with Duromine. All the best to you for these 5 weeks. Fingers crossed on amazing results and great health condition.

#18 Sep 18, 2017
  19. Beth

Beth Member
    Standard Member

Starting Weight: 93.5kg
    Current Weight: 81kg
    Loss to date: 12.5kg

Current Goal: 4kg in three weeks!

ok so finally remembered to update this without prompting!

Into week 3 of my 6 week challenge with group training and weight has stagnated a bit. Minor loss of around 1kg (still good i know!) but really want to meet my 6 week challenge target!

Last week i did 7 training sessions with my challenge (i was going to 6 but had to add an extra in as i ate indian food one day and my negotiation with myself was i would do an extra to make up for it haha). Im thinking that i am building muscle more at the moment than losing fat. This week i will be doing similar number of sessions - feeling strong and good so will continue to do so whilst i can. Getting used to the 6am starts and cant wait til the water gets warm so i can jump in the ocean straight after our sessions on the sand!

Nutrition wise last week wasnt the best. It was still good but could have been better - i was having cravings alot of days so was constantly thinking about food haha. This week they have gone so i am trying to be a bit stricter. My group training has said no carbs after 4pm so ive been trying to do that as much as possible. Ive invested in some healthier food such as almond meal, chia seeds in the hopes to try out some new recipes. Also spending money that would have otherwise been spent drinking on good quality foods such as tuna, salmon, lean beef etc. Calorie range is 1850 (as recommended by my group training program). I had two social events on the weekend and managed to limit drinking alcohol to one drink for one, and two drinks for the other (choose the healthier option of vodka soda and lime over my normal choices!).

No major plans for the weekend apart from training and surf club patrol so hoping to maintain the healthy eating. Got a huge stair session on Saturday morning as part of my group training 'fat burning saturday class' so hopefully i will survive! Depends how my knee goes with the stairs but the cortisone is still working and the trainers are good at modifying exercises if needed!

Duromine runs out in 6 days. Really wanted it to continue to the end of the program. Am considering heading to the doctors to see if he will prescribe a final fourth month.

#19 Sep 27, 2017
  20. April

April Staff member
    Staff Member

Hello Beth! Thank you so much for the update! I just love reading what you do and how you do. SO much energy and love for sports. You definitely are building a lot of muscles now and I am sure your body shape does change significantly.

Well done for the alcohol limitation!!! High five! The healthier food choices are a delight! What a mind change you are going through – AMAZING!

I am not sure if the doctor decides to give you one more month of Duromine now… he might suggest taking a break and then another month of Duromine. Whatever decision he takes, I hope that you will continue heading towards your weight loss goals and smash them! Take care and watch that knee. Keeping fingers crossed for a fast ocean warming… =)

#20 Sep 27, 2017